There are many reasons employers choose to get creative with interview questions. Maybe they want to test the candidates creativity, or see how an employee reacts under pressure to unforeseen circumstances, or test to see if a person is prone to panic, or how quick they can think on their feet. Whatever the reason might be — employers and HR professionals around the country reached a whole new level of weird with reported interview questions this year.
Job candidates really do have to be prepared for anything these days when they walk in for that interview.
Here’s this years list from Glassdoor‘s annual report to give you a look at the oddest questions interviewees have heard in the past year.
- “If you could throw a parade of any caliber through the Zappos office, what type of parade would it be?” – The Zappos Family
- “How lucky are you and why?” – Airbnb
- “If you were a pizza deliveryman, how would you benefit from scissors?” – Apple
- “If you could sing one song on American Idol, what would it be?” – Red Frog Events
- “Are you more of a hunter or a gatherer ?” – Dell
- “If you were on an island and could only bring three things, what would you bring?” – Yahoo
- “If you were a box of cereal, what would you be and why?” – Bed Bath & Beyond
- “Do you believe in Big Foot?” – Norwegian Cruise Line
- “Why is a tennis ball fuzzy?” – Xerox
- “What is your least favorite thing about humanity?” – ZocDoc
- “How would you use Yelp to find the number of businesses in the US?” – Factual
- “How honest are you?” – Allied Telesis
- “How many square feet of pizza is eaten in the US each year?” – Goldman Sachs
- “Can you instruct someone how to make an origami “cootie catcher” with just words?” – LivingSocial
- “If you were 80 years old, what would you tell your children?” – McKinsey & Company
- “You’re a new addition to the crayon box, what color would you be and why?” – Urban Outfitters
- “How does the internet work?” – Akamai
- “If there was a movie produced about your life, who would play you, and why?” – SinglePlatform
- “What’s the color of money?” – American Heart Association
- “What was the last gift you gave someone?” – Gallup
- “What is the funniest thing that has happened to you recently?” – Applebee’s
- “How many snow shovels were sold in the US last year?” – TASER
- “It’s Thursday, we’re staffing you on a telecommunications project in Calgary, Canada on Monday. Your flight and hotel are booked; your visa is ready. What are the top five things you do before you leave?” – ThoughtWorks
- “Describe to me the process and benefits of wearing a seatbelt.” – Active Network
- “Have you ever been on a boat?” – Applied Systems
Which one is your favorite? Do you have an odd question you like to ask during interviews? Share it with us in comments below!