Culture is a hot topic among business owners, entrepreneurs, and HR professionals right now. It’s a good way to recruit and retain talent that will be happy to work at your business.
Sometimes culture happens on it’s own, growing over time. But, some business owners are more intentional about deciding what they want to convey to their employees, customers, and the rest of the world.
Surprisingly, a lot of times, your employees have a clearer picture of the culture in your business than management does.
You should encourage your management team to focus on defining what your desired culture is. This is not always easy. In fact, it’s rarely easy. Once you decide who you want to be and what you want to stand for, you’ll want to take a close look at who you currently appear to be in the eyes of your employees and customers.
If your desired destination and where you’re at now are not aligning, you’ll have to take a hard look at the root cause. Is it management? Or maybe just a few employees? At this point you’ll want to consider coaching or other further action.
Once you’ve got your desired atmosphere nailed down and your current staff is on board, you can take a few steps to ensure any new employees will be happy working in your business too.
It’s a great idea to start with your interview and hiring process.
Here are some fun interview question examples to help you find out if a candidate will love your culture as much as you do.
16 Interview Questions to Ensure a Good Cultural Fit
- Who is your personal hero? How do they inspire you?
- What is your greatest accomplishment? Why do you consider it to be your greatest?
- What good books have you read lately?
- What was your most memorable job?
- What interests you the most about our company?
- If you could start your own business today, what would it be and why?
- What is your personal superpower?
- What are your hobbies?
- If you won a million dollars in the lottery, what would you do with the money?
- How do you feel about becoming friends with your coworkers?
- If you were a dog, what breed would you be?
- What are the characteristics of the best boss you ever had?
- If you could decorate your desk in any theme, what would it be?
- What’s your favorite Lord of the Rings character?
- What was the last costume you wore?
- What characteristic about you is sometimes a strength, and sometimes a weakness?